Sunday, February 20, 2011

Herzog is a beautiful protagonist as a plastic bag


I came across this by accident, I am a huge fan of Werner Herzog since his classic colonial adventure Aguire, Wraith  of God, all the way  up to his metamorphosis  from director to actor in Julian Donkey Boy where he turns in a frightening performance:


Herzog seems to endorse and mentor young film makers in obscure ways and this is no different as he takes the lead of the voice of the plastic bag in this short film.  The closest narrative style I can think of is Robert Bresson's Au Hasard Balthazar, a masterpice which centers around the journey of a donkey's life. Here is a famous scene where a tiger and donkey have a mutual understanding, a deeper sense of communication than the humans can ever imagine:


When I heard about this film I wasn’t sure if this was a joke, but the more I watched it the more I couldn’t take my eyes away from it, the emotions within shimmered and it was a beautiful transcending  experience. Plastic Bag is exciting and not only because Roger Ebert has proclaimed its young director Ramin Bahrani the 'new great American director' but it is head above heels in the 11 films that were put together for this free online project by Independent Television Service.  It has to be watched to be believed!  So without further ado here it is: 

2 comments:

BORNAGAINNIHILIST said...

I love Herzog , never seen this though!Excellent stuff

Anonymous said...

He is certainly a man who knows how to take care of business.