Monday, January 31, 2011

The Dream Machine: A Posthumous Reminder of Perfection

The Dream Machine is a posthumous film by anime director Satoshi Kon, who has revolutionised cinema, computerised aesthetics, and our hearts with Paprika and Paranoia Agent. Having found out about its existence and its release that is due this year, my mood instantly shifted from a  6 to a 10. It makes me feel like a sun covered in silk and tigresses.


Satoshi devastatingly passed away of pancreatic caner at the age of 46. It is too sad to think of what he would have created in the next few decades. He has left enough of a legacy to be cemented as a cinematic genius for many centuries to come. If anyone has ever watched Paranoia Agent then they know what I am talking about. Seeing his work is knowing that art can transcend existence through the faculty of the imagination.


He let slip in an interview last year, that the film will feature no human characters. So far all we can do is speculate with the pictures released so far. I just feel a warm fuzzy nice feeling in my body knowing that there will be another masterpiece by Satoshi released on this earth. Who knows perhaps up in the heavens he will make some films. And send them down to use via a colourful bevy of angels and spinning clouds, that warp and shrink into a byte, flash on our screens, yes I know this sounds a lot like Paprika, I feel like I have lost a friend, and as I reminisce him I think of all his movies that breathe such life into me, which bring me past the dreariness of this world into his imagination. This is a place I would happily swoop this reality for any day. Imagine if we woke up and our world was re-fleshed with anime textures, we would brush our teeth with star struck, shiny teeth and look into the mirror into our spherical eyes, letting out a smile J


If you speak Japanese, there is an official website about The Dream Machine, with news etcetera at  http://yume-robo.com/ Meanwhile for the English speaking world who are waiting In anticipation I leave you with a trailer from Paprika. Goodbye Satoshi, you will be missed forever xx

No comments: