Thursday, January 6, 2011

If Jesus Can Do It Why Can't You: Walking on water


The story goes that the disciples were taking the ferry to one of those biblical towns that all sound the same, beth- something or another, and they were crossing the Sea of Galilee (always seems to be this Sea, nothing better to do though I suppose). Jesus had said he would catch up with them and the story goes that he did so by walking on water and then jumping on the boat that the disciples were on (most likely higher than the high seas themselves).


Now you might have noticed in the video that one of the pioneers of the new sport liquid-mountaineering looks like Owen Wilson, but that doesn't mean that you should think this thing is a joke from the outset. Give it chance people! I was intrigued by this sport because there seemed to be some sort of loose scientific explanation that posited a possibility, so I listened to Ulf and watch with the sense of wonder and awe that only a child could administer. It seemed impossible, it seemed unbelievable, a miracle, just like Jesus going for a stroll on the Sea of Galilee. I caught up with Ulf and the Owen Wilson look-a-like and asked them about their fantastic achievement. They were quite surprised at first that any reputable reporter would even bother with them but I could smell the truth behind this story from a mile away. I put it to these two intrepid aqua-runners that I could beat their record of 16 wet steps. They wished me luck. Ever since that day I have woken up an hour earlier and I begin the day by running across a local lake. I have reached 14 steps and I am confident that this year I can eclipse the now famous 16 steps.



No comments: