Monday, December 6, 2010

Daft Punk - Tron Legacy


Well after finally getting a chance to wrap my ears around the new Daft Punk score for the up and coming Tron Legacy film I can't say I wasn't but a little surprised with what met my ears.


After listening to the entire album a few times now it has really grown on me, but what must be kept in the back of our minds is that this is a soundtrack for a movie and not just a straight off album. In that respect I find it difficult to gauge some of the tracks as I will probably respond differently to them after I have seen them synchronised with the film that they were designed for. If you are unaware please note that this is not a case of the duo just making music with 2 synthesisers and a drum machine, for the purpose of this soundtrack they also brought in a 85-piece orchestra and recorded at AIR Lyndhurst Studios in London. What I find funny though is the hype that surrounds this and how a lot of Daft Punk fans will fall privy to this hype and what frustrations will eventually ensue.




What I find funny about the situation is that when Thomas Bangalter takes off the helmet and produces and directs soundtrack music for the likes of Gaspar Noé nobody turns a blind eye, but when he dons his alter ego all hell breaks loose. Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo also manages to evade the mainstream until he too puts on his mask and the duo rise to the fore. It makes for an interesting analysis in terms of the autonomous machine that Daft Punk has become.
  


My advice in relation to this album is unless you really have to have it, go see the film first and if that manages to emotionally engage you enough to build a visual memory to complement the album then my advice is go for it. Until then hold off as it has the potential to disappoint a lot of Daft Punk fans. 


Here are a few of my favourite tracks to wet your pallet and help with the decision. 





Let's hope for a remix album soon...

No comments: